Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Medical School

 FRIDAY 8TH SEPTEMBER, 2023. 8:30 AM

Why would I like to get into medical school?



Let me tell you that apart from studying foreign languages, I am also trying to study medicine on my own. Whenever I have free time, I love reading medical books, looking for information about how our body works, or watching videos and posts about anatomy, physiology, patient care, surgeries, etc. on the med pages that I follow on my social media, so whenever I log into them I always find interesting med posts.

I know that soon I will get a bachelor's degree in modern languages and that maybe I won't have time to study another major because I want to start working as well, or it may sound sort of absurd to study more years at the university after having been there for a while, but it has always been my dream to study medicine. However, I am not quite sure if I would be a good medical student because I do not even know if I have the vocation, but anyway if I have the opportunity, time, and money I will do it without hesitating. I also know that medicine is one of the hardest and longest majors and that it requires many sacrifices, efforts, perseverance, courage, intelligence, motivation, and time, but I have always been passionate about learning and knowing how the human body is made of and how it works. I have always been curious about knowing how to diagnose and treat different illnesses and how to fix the body. 

Honestly, I have spent many years in the hospital as a patient (I will tell you why I am a regular patient in the hospital and to be more specific, I am a patient in the orthopedic department, but that is a long story, so I will dedicate a whole post to telling you more about it because it will take me some time), so I am kind of familiar with that environment and I would like to work there since I love how doctors help their patients, and how they devote and sacrifice their lives to care for them (or at least some of them are like that. Yes, I know that there are many doctors who are there just for their salary, but I have met some who are really human and who really care about their patients' well-being). I do not want to be the patient anymore, but I want to be the one healing and caring about others. 

Furthermore, I feel that medicine is a specialty where you will always feel important and rewarded in your work. Knowing that your knowledge can help someone or make a person's life better is priceless. Personally, I am extremely thankful to the doctors, nurses, and physiotherapists who have been there for caring about me through all these past years. I have made some very good friends as a patient in the hospital and I want to be that friend that someone else can count on during their healing or treatment process. I am sure that doctors feel rewarded when they help alleviate their patients' suffering and pain, when they see that their patients have improved in their healing process, or when they realize that their patients do not need their care anymore because they are doing much better. 

Finally, studying medicine will help me to understand my medical condition more since some years ago I had an accident that affected most of my left leg, but that's a long story. It also means that I will be able to take care of myself and have a better understanding of my body's functions, structures, and pathologies. (Yes, I will be able to prescribe myself some drugs and if I get the wrong treatment, it will be my fault.) 😂

Here between us, I don't know if I would make a good medical student because I actually love to sleep a lot, so I don't know if I'm willing to sacrifice my sleep. ha ha ha 😅

I know that it may be just a dream, but dreaming is free. 😌 I also feel like I'm betraying the foreign language department by wanting to study medicine. (I also love teaching foreign languages, but I would like to explore another field.) 😂

Thank you for reading. I hope you have enjoyed it. 💖



6 comments:

  1. That's great idea Iliana, this is amazing taht you will continue studying medicine on your own since it will help you maintain a healthy life. You are just like my mother who spends her time watching videos of all the doctors in the world. and she learns to eat healthy and if someone has an illness, my mom quickly tells them what you might be sick from and what to take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you have to commit your whole life to a career, tbh. It's great that you studied Modern Languages, but it doesn't mean that you can't try out other careers too, if you have the money and the time 💖. Besides, I think it's great to have something else you like. In the future, you could try something out, something that has to do with medicine, even if it isn't a doctor career, you know. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great to hear you are interested in medicine! I think it is very important to learn about different things, I mean, we are young, we still have time to continue getting knowledge about different areas. Maybe you can teach Medical English to some doctors haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ili, as our classmates said we are still young. You can dedicate your life to all your passions not only to one. I am certain that you will find a way to mix everything you like, or find a solution because I assure you that yes, you are always willing to make an effort. You are persistent, brave and intelligent. Keep going, no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your post<3 because It mixes your admiration, love and respect for the medical field, you are realistic about the fact that studying medicine may be kinda difficult(and yeah I think the samexd); however, by reading your post we can realize that over time you fell in love with this honorable area and that's awesome:) and I consider that the phrase " I do not want to be the patient anymore, but I want to be the one healing and caring about others" has a lot power! and shows sth really beautiful for me. If you are not sure about study medicine, give it a shot!, only in that way you will see if you are good at sth or not:) so yes, try all things that interest you, since we only have one life<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s a great idea! And I’m sure you’ll make it, keep it up, Iliana!

    ReplyDelete

Storytelling festival.

 TUESDAY 28TH NOVEMBER 2023 20:00 Hello there! I am a little bit sad because this is the last blog that I will publish and the last activity...